We have a few different projects:
- Gleaners distributes food to hungry Hoosiers through a network of more than 250 partner agencies, including emergency food pantries, soup kitchens, and shelters. Volunteers help prepare these food and grocery items for distribution by scanning, inspecting, sorting donations in the warehouse and cooler.
- Schools do a good job of providing meals to at-risk children. But what about the weekend? That’s where Gleaners’ BackSacks: Weekend Food for Kids Program comes in. Volunteers pack BackSacks that include shelf-stable food that does not need refrigeration, and has enough food for 5 small meals and a snack.
- Gleaners is collaborating with Teachers' Treasures to assemble and distribute Backpacks full of school supplies for the new school year. Volunteers will write encouraging notes and pack the Backpacks full of supplies.
- Volunteers may also assist with smaller projects including clerical tasks, painting, landscaping and organizing.
- Lastly, Gleaners has on on-site food pantry, the Cynthia H. Hubert Community Cupboard at Gleaners: Designed to give our hungry neighbors the feel of shopping in a grocery store, the CHH Community Cupboard is open to all in need of hunger relief assistance. Located on the southwest side of Indianapolis, we serve thousands of Hoosier families each month who are struggling to get the food they need. Volunteers help greet and check-in clients, hand out food, and carry bags or boxes to help the clients.